Tuesday 21 June 2011

Technology....

I've just had a new iPhone. It's very nice and shiny...and does lots of weird and wonderful things.....apparently.
I have come to the conclusion that you need a degree in iPhone-ology, or at least have a ten year old nearby if you want to know how to use it..they are sooooo complicated...technology...pah!

Surprisingly, in South Africa, even though they have very little in the way of material possessions, clothing, shoes, food, they all seem to have mobiles attached to themselves. They all seem to be the blocky nokia variety.....the sort I wanted until telephone techy guy talked me out of it. After his spiel on adenoids (or was it androids??) and waps I was completely baffled until he said the words 'free' and 'iPhone' in the same sentence. And, as Cass has been harping on about iPhones I knew that they must be OK, so nodded my head and signed on the dotted line.
Fortunately, our lodger (Chris has said I can't keep referring to him as 'the lodger' I must call him Dan, but for blogging purposes I think 'the lodger' reads better) is a bit of a dab hand at anything techy and has set it up....I can't work it other than answer it when it rings, send a text, and eventually find facebook with a lot of Zulu cursing - hey, its cultural - and I guess that will suit me fine.....I don't always recognise the ring tone either...
SS and I walked on Saturday, and most of our exercise was hunting in our pockets when a phone beeped accompanied by one of us saying 'was that me or you?'!
On Saturday we met at 7am and did our usual circuit of the common before breakfast at Costas. Neither of us wanted to be out walking. SS was suffering with sinusitis and I was knackered after my two and a half weeks in Africa and two full on days at work (8.20pm finish Thurs, 7am start Fri), so we moaned and griped some, but a cappuccino and a plate of toast perked us up enough to go around the common again and head towards the canal at Thornford park end, and into town, ultimately ending in Starbucks before the heavens opened, again!
We knew we had to walk as this was our last 'big' training session before the 'centurion' race on 1-2nd July. Our 100 miles in Surrey...raising money for the children at Happy's school in uMlaze, Durban. We aim to buy more wheelchairs for these children, and, after visiting there, I know how desperate they are for them, and for money to upkeep the ones they have.....we must give this race our best shot!
So, we managed 20 miles before we parted company, and then I went and collected Mali and Golda and did another 3 miles, before having to do the ironing...the last remnants from my time away!

SS and I are very grateful to all who have sponsored us so far, but if you haven't, and you could spare a little, please visit our justgiving page....
www.justgiving.com/teaandblisters

It's very easy to do..despite the technology.....!

1 comment: