Wednesday 1 June 2011

Soup, glorious soup!

Up at 6.30 am and we headed again to the HIV/TB clinic  at  Kwadabeka as it was 'soup morning'.
We set up in a little corner of the waiting room, heated a huge pan of homemade lentil soup on a camping stove and served it with a slice of bread to all those patients waiting.
The soup seemed to be extremely popular, as did the plastic cups it was served in, these have to be counted out, and also counted back in and they do 'disappear' into bags! The security men on the hospital gates are served soup as a 'bribe' to check patients bags as they leave ,for our plastic cups which seems an efficient way of protecting our equipment.

Once soup had been served, it was back to Westville for some freetime, which was washing - everything gets so dusty here, and most clothes we have worn so far are covered in various body fluids!

Westville is a relatively posh area, although we have been advised not to go out alone, and not to go out after dark unless in a group. The house and Church has security gates and is well alarmed.
Westville is also home to one of my new favourite coffee shops!

South Africa has a chain called Mugg & Bean, which is awesome! It's, dare I say, nicer coffee than Starbucks and Costa put together, and not only do they do wicked cakes and muffins, you can get a full English, or full African breakfast if you so desire!!
I just had to try a muffin, as you do, and opted for a spinach and feta, being healthy! It was the size of a dinner plate, and was served warm, with butter, jam (??why??) and a dish of grated cheese....delish...but...and this is the sad part...I couldn't finish it....I was soooo stuffed after half!

Mind you, I'm doing zero exercise...so I probably hadn't ought to finish any cakes while I'm here...... and I might just add that Mugg & Bean have a great motto:

*A CUP OF COFFEE SHARED WITH A FRIEND IS HAPPINESS TASTED AND TIME WELL SPENT*

-who am I to argue?!
So, after lunch, (at Mugg & Bean, and it was a cheese and bacon muffin today), I headed to  Clermont Township to help at an after school club in a community centre for 10 years old and upward children.
Clermont Township -typical 'street' and house.                                                    
The nearest running water is a tap on the main road, down the hill.



We had a dozen children, and the leader, an American volunteer called Katie, taught yoga which was great fun...the kids seemed to think so anyway.....my back muscles aren't so sure! After an hour and a half, we gave out cuddles, juice and biscuits and drove back to Westville.

Most South Africans in this area speak excellent English...but I have been trying to learn the odd Zulu phrase to impress them...I am failing miserably, but I can say;
sawubona (pronounced sow-bone-ah) which to us means hello, to them literally means 'I see you'
the reply is;
yebo (pronounced yay-bow) which to us means hello back, to them literally means 'yes you do'.

Now, it's 8.20pm...and I'm shattered...off to bed as it's another early start tomorrow, I'm working in a Bible Education Centre (the BEC) in the centre of Durban, half an hours drive from Westville. Again the centre is charity run, and provides basic  bible teaching classes in English and Zulu for anyone passing by, the locals, visitors,  and regulars wishing to understand their bibles more.

No comments:

Post a Comment