Monday 13 June 2011

Ngiyaphila

You may be wondering at the title of this particular post....
Ngiyaphila (pronounced 'N -gee- a- peel- a) is a zulu word and means "I am alive".....and this is how South Africa has made me feel.......alive, and happy to be so!

I have just a few minutes before I leave Westville, heading towards the airport, and ultimately the UK, and it's a time for reflection on my time here.

Two weeks isn't long enough. Yes, I've missed Chris and Cassia heaps, but I've loved every single minute of being here. I've loved the work, I've loved the people, the culture,  the food, in fact there isn't anything that I haven't liked......(perhaps it could have been warmer....perhaps I could have shot the Ibis), I could quite easily stay here...in fact I would definitely consider returning to do more of the same.

The biggest change I've felt here, I think, is in me as a person. By nature I know that I am very set in my ways ( I can see Chris nodding), and incredibly selfish with my time ( I can see Chris nodding again but I will mention golf), but I can return home with a different perspective towards life, and thank God, that I do have opportunity in my life that others don't have....I have seen poverty, I have seen illness, I have seen desperation in some of the people here.....yet I have also seen courage and determination to live to the best of their ability - and to praise and thank God for it.

Ngiyaphila - I am alive....and extremely grateful.

At Clermont Township, the kids were fascinated by the trailer! SJ covered in face paints!


Tired..but happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment