Tuesday 7 June 2011

Four eyes.....

Being a 'specky four-eyes' has it's disadvantages ...the kids here seem to absolutely love my glasses...they prod them, they poke them, they bash them, they pull, lick, smear and even snot on them.......revolting!

So far I have a chipped lens, a loose screw (or a screw loose?!) and a wonky ear piece. I start the day being able to see clearly, and finish the day in a smeary, foggy haze.

Today I didn't see any children until mid-morning as first thing we were at the HIV/TB clinic at Kwadebeka again to serve tea and coffee to the waiting patients.
It amuses me that sugar is added to the pots of tea and coffee before they are poured out, when I asked why this was done, I was told it was to make it fair, and to treat everyone the same, as when the sugar was handed out separately, one patient had taken 13 spoons of sugar!





Marionhill Township and creche (COPT funded)
 Once tea had been served, it was then time to move to Marionhill township to see the Gogo's (Zulu for Granny's) and the children in the creche. Again the children were so excited to see the 'white faces' so there were cuddles and squeezes all round...and more pokes to the glasses!

During the afternoon I went with Simon, (the English volunteer from Kingsclere) to Queensburgh to visit a young lady called Nosipho. Nosipho was an ex-resident from Happy's home, who had moved on, after completing her education at Happy's, into a care home - Chesire care home.

Nosipho is wheelchair dependant, suffering with rheumatoid arthritis which was first diagnosed when she was 9 years old. She is now 33 years old. She is unable to feed herself or perform any personal hygiene, relying on others for all her daily needs, yet she has the best sense of humour, and the brightest smile I have seen in a long time..a truly remarkable young woman.
Whilst Simon did Nosipho's ironing....with Nosipho correcting him all the way (!!), I painted her toenails silver, massaged her feet, legs, hands, arms, shoulders, neck and head, and  had a great chat with this inspiring lady.
It was hard tearing ourselves away...but we have promised to return to take Nosipho clothes shopping before the end of the week which should be fun......

The day finished, with Jude, the other English volunteer, in Clermont township, at a bible reading group in the evening. 26 Zulus turned up at 7pm for a read and chat based around a bible lesson. This started with lots of Zulu singing, which was amazing!
I have absolutely no idea what they were saying, but it sounded great, and I joined in with the clapping and slapping, as you do!
I had gone to Clermont, as I was the designated 'taxi' driver. Part of  COPT (community outreach programme trust) is to provide transport for those wishing to attend activities provided by COPT. I was given a manual avanza car, and 5 Zulu's and given instructions to get them to Clermont and back.....
......hmmmmm......only a few probs.......I don't drive a manual car......and how the heck do you get to Clermont??

So, with 5 Zulu's giving me instructions in Zulu.."this right, no, other right, here right"....we DID make it there, and back.....as for the car......might need a new clutch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment