Sunday 24 July 2011

Back on track!

Three weeks on..and I made it to the gym!! It was great to see SS, so that I could hit her hard for making me do the centurion race!!

I was a little dubious about being there, I was desperate to start exercising again, (and I think the family wanted me to run off some of my bad mood!) but I was a little worried that it might actually hurt...so it was with some trepidation that I stepped on to the treadmill - in my shiny new asics I might add!!

I wasn't actually certain what I would be able to do, so started off with a low incline power walk, which felt OK, nothing fell off, so I pushed the speed up, and up, and up until I was running, and that hurt a bit, so I dropped down again and stuck with power walking for 25 minutes, until I thought 'what the heck' and sprinted for the last 5 minutes which actually felt OK by then.....or did until I stopped and then I was very wobbly!!

My feet, which everyone expects me to be suffering with, especially as I have lost 3 toenails, don't bother me at all, but currently I am ready for bilateral hip replacements and a knee replacement!!
Anyways, as I was in the gym, I thought I might as well get my moneys worth, so SS and I did a circuit of weights too. I always worry that without exercise I am going to slip backwards quickly, as it is surprising how quickly muscle tone disappears, but I was able to lift the same weights as 'pre Surrey' so 'resting on my laurels' wasn't quite as damaging as I was envisioning....perhaps the donuts were though as my shorts were a tad tight......

Saturday morning was a 'walk free' morning. Chris had organised a BBQ and 'sleepover' with the youth group kids, but due to our typically British weather the sleepover didn't happen....I had already mentioned to SS that I couldn't walk.....I suppose that I could have phoned her Friday evening and  said plans had changed......but....well.....no excuse really...I wanted a lie in!!

I did however go to the gym Saturday.....I was sooooooo stiff Thursday and Friday that the word 'GYM' was not a nice word but by Saturday I felt good enough to go again and was able to do a lot more -

30 mins run treadmill
10 mins X trainer
5 mins rowing (1000 metres in 5.02 seconds - is this good or not, as I don't really have any idea, I know I can do it a bit quicker, but what should it be???? )and then a circuit of weights, and this felt good, definitely back on track!!

So good in fact, that I took the dogs out when I got home. Poor Chris has been chief dog walker for the past 3 weeks as I've been out of action, but as I'm now able to get to the gym, I can't really expect him to carry on!!
Mali, Golda and I headed up to Greenham common, and had a run, we only did the small loop ( the look on Mali's face was a real "is that it??" sort of look,) but it was enough for Golda and me, and as I said, I feel back on track......

Not that back on track though, that I said yes to SS when she asked if I wanted to do the 'Humber Hell' or the 'Death March' walks with her......mmmmmm, the names sort of give it away a little........!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment