Sunday 16 January 2011

There...and back.

I decided last weekend that I needed a new challenge! My name is already down for my fourth Ridegway40..a trek of 40 miles in 14 hours across the Ridegway..but as I've done it before - 3 times- I know I can do it, so it's not really a challenge......then Suzanne had a bright idea!
A centurion Walk!! okay!! A 100 miles in 24hours.....why not?
Apparently you're not a real walker until you've done that! So, we found the website...have seen that the date is for the first weekend in July and have applied...6 months training starts now......
Today we managed 24 miles in 6 hours. We did our tried and trusted route along the Kennet and Avon Canal between Newbury and Hungerford. This is a great route for several reasons...not only is it flat, quiet and reasonably well sheltered from the elements..there is also a fab Cafe  - The Tutti Pole - which does a great bacon baguette and coffee just after the 12 mile mark!!

The weather was reasonable, although the wind was against us for the first 12 miles... and due to heavy rain during the week, the stretch between Marsh Benham and Kintbury was pure mud which slowed us down..however, on average Suzanne and I managed a respectable 4 miles an hour.

I felt suitably virtuous after doing all this exercise...but then ruined it by insisting on kebab and chips for tea to replace lost calories!
Sat 15th Jan 2010

1 comment:

  1. Aha, nice new blog and said cafe is where I stopped on my Willy Warmer audax!

    ReplyDelete