Saturday 5 May 2012

Personal.......

I wouldn't normally consider a personal trainer......but there was Sam...sat outside the gym, touting for business, and the word 'free' caught my eye.....
(Plus his dad had asked me to keep an eye on him whilst he was out of the country, so I thought it would be rude not to!)

And that, dear reader, was very nearly the demise of moi!
I considered myself to be relatively fit, but after an hour with Sam I wasn't really fit for much!
He was, and I'm sure still is (!!) very, very good at what he does (not killing people, but training them that is!!) but I have never trained like that before, so have felt it ever since!

He did mention that he was 'DIFFERENT in his approach and that was evident when we approached machinery (sorry, I meant to say equipment!) that I hadn't looked at before.....the bike was ok.....but then came the 'summit machine'  - (Everest in 10 minutes), actually I was pleased with that, as Sam told me that most clients flaked at 2.5 minutes and I did 10 (go girl!), then came the VPR (known as the viper, yep, got bitI) which I had to lift, then squat with, and chuck side to side, then came the TRX.....

Now this WAS interesting.....it was a metal frame with straps hanging from it's centre.....I honestly didn't know whether it was for exercise or to hang myself with.......

Firstly I dangled by hand and used body weight to row, then I dangled by feet and had to do crunches, then I had a little cry.........

And I wasn't even half way through......much, much more was to come....
I puffed, and panted, and sweated, and felt nauseated......and strangley enough, at the end of an hour, even though I felt I needed to lie down in a darkened room, there was a sense of satisfaction that I had done it!

Personal training? Yep, its good, I don't know that I would pay for that kind of torture....but it's very effective, and I have been back and followed the plan that Sam gave me ( Don't tell him but I skipped the VPR lunges - hate them!!!), and it's definately made me look at the gym in a new light - evil machines!!!

Not quite as evil as pilates however..........
SS and I are still going, at least twice a week, to a gentle fitness pilates on a Monday, then a mental functional pilates on a Wednesday!! This started with weighted soft balls...and now the instructor has us using 2kg weighted plates in nearly every exercise we do....honestly, I don't know how she does it, but I come home each week with a different muscle burning that I really didn't know existed!!

All this as well as walking miles with SS! We did a muddy 22 this morning, around Greenham Common (twice), along the canal, and through Enbourne cornfields. I was escaping the teenagers at home who were 'sleeping over', SS was escaping Jim's decorating skills, or lack of them...and it was also my 'last blast' before the Moonwalk marathon next week.

I've been out with the 'Moonwalk gals' from work, we're trained up, bra's at the ready, and this time next week, we'll be heading to Hyde Park ready to start......so, if you haven't sponsored me...c'mon, c'mon, c'mon....it's for a darn good cause - look at the website and leave us some pennies!!
www.walkthewalkfundraising.org/eastfieldangels

No comments:

Post a Comment