Wednesday 29 January 2014

Can't be arrished....

Finally, I've got round to blogging again!
How time flies when you're having fun, or rather, you're too busy to sit and waffle on a blog site.
Life HAS been busy, work is manic, still enjoyable, but incredibly busy, and home life is busy   too, not leaving much 'free time' to explore my new passion...

And that would by cycling!
My last post in August mentioned that I had gone over to 'the dark side' - swapped running for cycling.....and it's fab. Exercising sitting down? What's not to like?
It's a bit more restrictive weather wise, not so easy to go out when it's icy or pouring with rain...and that would NEVER have stopped me going out on two feet, but it's still fab.
Miles get covered so much quicker, and calories add up quicker, which, in terms of cake, means you have to eat so much more!! Win, win!

But, it hurts more when things go wrong.....

I was persuaded by the chappies in the bike shop, and all my testosterone-fuelled friends/family that the way to go is to have 'cleats'  - clip-in shoes rather than just straps on my pedals.
So, apart from the window-screen wiper Chris bought me for Christmas ( I lie not!) I had a set of new pedals and shoes....was fitted up by Banjo's bike shop ( my new BFFs) and off I went......and I fell off.....big time....

Boy, it hurt.

I was on a lovely country road, going a reasonable pace, when my back tyre hit some mud and then I hit the deck....the bike skidded sideways underneath me. I must admit I did think I had broken both legs as I couldn't move from my knees down, but then I remembered that I was clipped in!

I had lovely black bruises to my right hip, thigh, knee, elbow, and an imprint of the handlebars on my chest.....but, when I let Chris know....he wanted to know if the bike was ok....

It's taken me two weeks to get back on my bike.....very stiff....and a little apprehensive...but I managed 20 miles over the weekend  - and most importantly, I didn't fall off!

I really, really need to get some more miles under my belt as I have an event in 3 weeks (gulp) - my brother ( the nutter one) coerced me into an event with him...123 km - in one go....to be honest, I don't know if I can be arrished.

Arrished? I hear you ask?! Well....I'm learning Cumbrian as 'the lodger' is back. Not back as in 'back at ours', but back, as in back in Newbury.  
And I have NO IDEA what he is saying half the time (most) so he has bought me a dictionary so I can at least try and understand him when he comes for tea every Wednesday!
He brings along his friend Vlad...who sounds very posh, so mealtimes are amusing to say the least.
And, I hear you ask - who is Vlad? Well - it's not his REAL name of course! It's just, well, he is very  pale and blonde, and has this HUGE aversion to mornings or any daylight hours to be honest, and well, maybe I HAVE watched too much Dracula on Sky living......but.......it's  My blog and I'm going to call him Vlad (The Impaler!).
Well, I've waffled enough, and time is going, and, well, I can't be arrished to do anymore....!!

No comments:

Post a Comment